Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Siem Reap, Cambodia

I've had a grand old time exploring the ruins of Angkor Wat in Siem Reap but I think the reason I like Cambodia so much is because of the people. I don't think I've ever met such friendly, good humored, and generous people as the Cambodians. Before I came here, other travellers were complaining about Cambodia, saying in the words of one girl "Cambodia is scary. All the intellectuals were wiped out by the Khmer Rouge and now the people that are left are really rough and scary." What rubbish! I have not for one moment felt unsafe here. Even the people who I suppose might be considered "scary"- the pushier tuk tuk drivers and beggars- are nothing to be frightened of. The tuk tuk drivers are very jokey and make a big show of hollering "Helloooooo madaaaaammmeee!"when they want me to hire them for a trip across town.

The beggars, on the other hand, are just incredibly sad. A lot of them are land mine victims or children. I will never forget one woman who was begging outside of the temples: she sat on the ground in this ridiculous tropical heat, holding her baby. The baby was hydrocephalic (medical term, i.e., a huge swollen head) and had what looked like a tumor growing over his right eye. He was crying and squirming and it literally felt like somebody punched me in the heart when I looked at him. I gave the mother some money and kept going to the temple but I am still thinking about her. If you want to donate money to a worthy cause, please please PLEASE donate money to one of these two hospitals: Kantha Bopha Javaryaman VII Hospital or Angkor Children's Hospital, both in Siem Reap. Kantha Bopha actually has several branches throughout Cambodia and offers free medical care to all comers. I donated some money to both hospitals and gave blood, which they are in desperately short supply of here. I toured Angkor Hospital and again, it feels like your heart is being shredded when you look at these kids. Malnutrition, TB, dengue fever, malaria, and their parents just have no money to pay for their medical care. They would have to sell their land, their animals, their everything, to save their childrens' lives if hospitals like Kantha Bopha did not exist. The people of Cambodia, who have been so hospitable and kind to me as I visit their country, deserve better than this. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Aunt Mary said...

Kate, thanks so much for sharing your new perspectives.

I recently had a medical imaging test done (all turned out well) and when the doc scheduled it I was able to go have this big expensive machine do its thing the very next morning if I was available. Later, I was pondering how lucky I am to have access to such fabulous medical care. I mean, they were doing the test only as a check and there were no questions raised about necessity, no long waits, no long drives (it’s right in my community), no fear (extremely competent medical providers in a comfortable setting)… Reading your post makes me realize even more so how fortunate we are in the US …and how disparate the division of resources is throughout the world.

You are becoming a true world citizen with global perspectives! Fantastic!! I will likely never travel the way you are – so it is so wonderful to hear your point of view and to have seemingly distant problems brought home for consideration. It helps us all to grow. I will take you up on your suggestion and send a donation.

Keep well and safe.

Sarah Blanshan said...

I feel ya. Thanks for sharing.