Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Luang Prabang, Laos

It seems that Luang Prabang is my own personal Hotel California: I can check out any time I like, but I can never leave. Twice I have bought bus tickets to other towns, and the night before each trip I wake up so violently ill that I have to stumble to the travel agent in the morning and ask to change my ticket. Tip: if you visit Luang Prabang, and go to the night food market, do not eat at the noodle stall at the very far end of the market street. You will regret it, trust me.

So hopefully I leave tomorrow for southern Laos with an intact digestive system. I have spent more time in Luang Prabang than any other place I have visited - 11 days in total! Several days were spent unwillingly flat on my back in bed, though. It is a beautiful town, with gorgeous old Buddhist temples, banana and coconut trees along the Mekong, French colonial architecture, and little kid monks in bright orange robes strolling through the streets. But it's also extremely touristy and comparatively expensive to other towns I've visited (comparatively meaning that I am reluctant to hand over more than $2 for a meal - maybe one reason I vomited for 3 hrs last night?) I am ready to leave and see other places and people.

Just read on CNN about the cyclone in Myanmar - so sad. I've heard it's primary day in North Carolina - hope you all voted for either Obama or Clinton! I'm going to see if my stomach will tolerate some flat Coca-Cola now, next time you hear from me, I'll probably be in another country.

4 comments:

KathyS said...

poor baby--you need to have a stomach like your father--he waited until he got home from his travels to get sick!
the stories about Myanmar are heart rending--possibly 20,000 dead and 1 million homeless--did you feel any parts of the storm in Laos? btw, you will be happy to know that Obama won by a huge margin in NC--and of course you will not be surprised that your father and I did not listen to your advice :-).
so is Vietam next on the itinerary? love you lots!
mom

Aunt Mary said...

Kate,
We got your postcard – how very exciting – I’ve never got one from a trekker before!
It sounds like you’re having a great time overall – interrupted by some periods of puking. And you know – I can relate! But for me crab dip in good ‘ol Lancaster seems enough to do the trick.
I visited Sue and Trampas and the kids a couple of weeks back. Liz is so fun! And little Lucas is too cute … except when he looks like some smooth-skinned bald version of his daddy. Man oh man does he have the same expressions as Trampas.
Tomorrow John and I are supposed to be planting at Drumore – 30 ac of seed … and they’re calling for heavy rain. We’ll see what happens.

It seems like you’ve really settled into your travels. Motor bikes, boat rides and adventures in questionable noodle eating. This trip will be something you’ll always remember and it will surely shape you choices moving forward. We may not even recognize the worldly Kate who returns home – but we sure will give you big hugs when you get here (mine may be remote hugs from Lancaster).

Be well – eat with caution – trek with abandon!

Sarah Blanshan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Blanshan said...

I think no extended travel experience is complete without at least one incident of severe vomiting and diarrhea. Glad you seem to be making it though! Miss you lots!