Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Bangkok, again

Back in my home base of Bangkok, but leaving tonight for Chiang Mai to celebrate the Thai New Year! It'll be an experience, I think....the Thai New Year, Songkran, is basically a festival that centers around dumping huge buckets of water on everyone. In particular, farangs (foreigners, in Thai). Oh well, at least the water will keep me cool. have to remember NOT to take camera or cell phone out during the festival.

I am now officially a certified scuba diver! I took a dive course in Koh Tao and it was scary and amazing! aaaand....I SWAM WITH SHARKS! black tip reef sharks, generally harmless to humans, but still how cool is that?

just got my hair cut for five bucks. it was suffering terribly after being in the sun and salt water for a week. the sun here is pretty ridiculous. on the beach i sat in the shade, reapplied spf 50 (50! i didn't even know they made it that high), and wore a t shirt and i'm a dark, dark brown color. i have to go eat lunch now and buy a plane ticket to laos. sawadeeka!

p.s. thanks to people for their emails, particularly aunt mary!! sorry i am really bad at not returning emails or sending post cards! i'm trying to get better.

3 comments:

KathyS said...

We all expect great stories when you return, my love! I am sure you will be the envy of all your younger cousins when they hear you swam with sharks. Keep wearing that sunscreen and keep having a the time of your life. love you so much--and miss you, too :-(
mom

Aunt Mary said...

Sharks – very cool.

$5/cut – nice, here it's $55 (but of course that includes the magic turn-back-the-clock on gray treatment too)

Sounds like this exotic nirvana, while sweaty, is very reasonably priced. Good for the intrepid trekker, eh?

So you're as brown as a coco bean – that's hard to imagine. Post pics when you can.

Stay safe – keep a hold of all your luggage (oops, backpack) and check it thoroughly before you travel across borders to make sure everything in it is yours and only yours. That statement makes me sound worldly doesn't it – but I just saw that on the intrernet. I don't really get out of cow country all that much.

Have fun!

angelasaur said...

baby, i wear spf 75 here in the states.