Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bangkok, Thailand

Less than 24 hours in Bangkok and I feel like everything I own is covered in a layer of sweat. Imagine New York City in August, only much more humid and smelly. But this makes it sound like I don't like Bangkok....I kinda do. I think. I know I like the food. My first meal in Bangkok was pad thai from a street vendor. It was very good and cost 20 baht, or about 50 cents. I'm staying in the traveler's ghetto of Khao San Road right now and it's really fun to walk through the street -I've heard people hate it here but I'm weird in that I think it's funny when tuk tuk drivers call out "Hey nice lady, where you go? where you want to go? i take you there!" So I should love the rest of southeast asia right? I stayed in the Novotel airport hotel the first night because my flight got in late and it was probably the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at...huge comfy bed, enormous bath tub, a phone in the bathroom?! Okay this internet cafe connection sucks so I have to go now. i miss my family and friends a lot right now, i think people should meet me at the beach in thailand pronto.

3 comments:

KathyS said...

First, you look wonderful--cannot believe you have gained any weight, but I suppose with good, cheap eats it could get dangerous!!
Missing you and yes, how do I get to those Thai beaches?! And, what is a tuk tuk ? Also, what is the shopping like on Khao San Road? Ok, enough questions--for now :-)
love you lots!
mom

Unknown said...

I'm so there

in my head

because actually I'm stuck in the quazi frozen gray fest that is New York City Spring

hope you're having a blast!

Aunt Mary said...

Don’t worry about the sweat Kate – I hear it’s very good for the pores. Sounds like you’re settling in and getting a feel for the place. It must feel like a million worlds away from Raleigh – what a great opportunity to learn and grow. And then cheap tasty food is never a bad thing either!
Here in Lancaster we hit 48 degrees today, down to 20 overnight – so not too much sweating yet. On a side note, I continue to pursue the American dream with the acquisition of a new Honda Civic today. It drives nice – but I don’t think it would make it all the way to the beaches of Bangkok.
Take care of yourself, pace yourself, and have a grand time.
Aunt Mary